Sewing for travel: makeup bag and earphone case.

I recently went on a trip to Korea! It was my first time travelling there and thankfully I had my friend Rachel with me as a wonderful guide and translator. If you follow me on Instagram, you will have seen that I went to Dongdaemun Shopping Complex to buy fabric! The shopping complex is huge with 4 buildings of 6-7 storeys, full of wholesale fabrics and other sewing notions. I bought lots of fabric which you will see on this blog in posts to come!

But in the meantime this post is about some previous sewing projects of mine that I have found useful while travelling overseas.

First up is a makeup bag.


I received some fat quarters as a gift for Christmas in a selection of beautiful Indigenous prints. A fat quarter is fabric that comes pre-cut usually measuring 46×56 cm – 1/4 of a yard of fabric. Because of their size, they are good for small projects like purses, pencil cases, cushions or bags or can be sewn together to make a quilt.

I decided to sew a makeup bag with one of the fat quarters. I always find the ones in stores are too small or too big, and often only have a single compartment so you have to dig around to find what you need.

I designed the bag with customised compartments and a flat base so it can sit upright when open. The side strap makes a good handle which can be unbuttoned for uses such as hanging it on a towel rail. This may be useful in cases where hotel bathrooms where there is limited bench space.

Lots of side pocket compartments!

The zipper and buttons I bought from op-shops, and the inner black fabric was a remnant from past projects. So all up, this project cost me less than $1!

The second useful travel item was an earphone case.


In a bout of procrastination from study, I made this earphone case/wrap/taco. I used remnant fabric from various projects. You may recognise the outer fabric is the fabric I used to make my Tate Top. The closure is with snap press buttons bought from an op-shop. The yellow felt loop tag is there if I wish to attach a keyring.


I eyeballed the shape of the case and cut out an outer layer, inner lining and interfacing layer. The interfacing layer was about 1cm smaller around the border and ironed on to the lining fabric. Next the buttons were sewn on to the lining fabric, again eyeballing their positions. The outer fabric and lining were sewn right sides together also attaching the loop tag at this point and leaving a small gap to turn it right-side out. Edges were clipped to allow the fabric to lay flat after turning it right-side out. And finally, the case was topstitched around the edge to close the small gap and give it a nice finish.


Both projects were really quick projects that I found very useful on my recent travels.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s