This was my biggest sewing project to date that I made back in April this year. A lined hooded jacket with button up closure and pockets! (I like pockets and reckon more items of clothing should have them)
The patten I used is Papercut Pattern’s Waver Jacket. I bought it as a PDF to download and assemble, but it is also available as a physical paper pattern on their site. It comes in a short and long hem variation and optional drawstring cord at the waist. I made the short version.
The pattern comes in sizes XXS-XL. I went with XS and it is still roomy enough to comfortably layer up underneath.
The outer fabric is medium weight red cotton drill and the lining is a navy blue polyester satin. I purposely chose a slippery lining fabric to make it easier to slide my arms in and out and avoid friction and bunching when layering up with jumpers and cardigans underneath.
The instructions are quite clear with good images as a guide. When I got to the part where I was to attach the lining to the outer shell, I had to carefully read and follow the instructions. Some sewers who blogged about their experience making the Waver Jacket used other methods to ‘bag a jacket lining’. I was able to follow the provided instructions though found that the lining and outer shell fabric did not quite meet up perfectly at the centre front where the centre and bottom hems meet. Most likely due to an error made by me as the pattern and instructions are well made and tested. And it was nothing some hand-stitching couldn’t fix.
I also had a little trouble getting my sewing machine buttonhole setting and foot to work and ended up doing the short zig-zag stitches method. Other challenges included finding a good eyelet kit (the metal ring where the drawstring cord comes out, see photos below). The basic set sold in Spotlight that requires a hammer to insert the eyelets is terrible as they would deform on seating. I ended up finding a good set from a brand I have used before at Lincraft. Perhaps with a proper handheld eyelet tool the Spotlight ones may have worked better. But as I don’t use eyelets very much, I couldn’t justify buying one.
Some alterations/additions to the pattern I made include an added zipper panel, lined pockets and a loop on the inside neckline to hang up the jacket.
The buttons and cord toggle/clasp I made from oven bake clay.
This project took me 3 weeks to complete (not including the weeks it took me deliberating over fabric choices) and I finished just in time for the late Autumn/Winter season! I learned new techniques of using fuseable lining and open-end zippers as well as following the long detailed pattern instructions.
Thank you to my sister for helping take the photos by the Torrens River with ducks!