Sleeveless top: The Tate Top

For my birthday in May I received a heap of fabric and sewing supplies that my mum had bought for me in Malaysia. I have wanted to sew a few blouses to wear for clinic and with all this new fabric I went in search of ideas. The fabric I was going to use was a lightweight cotton with a printed feather design and gold detailing.

It was though Kollabora, a site for creatives to post photos of their projects and sell patterns, that I found the Tate Top pattern. The pattern is available for free download from the blog Workroom Social. It comes in two length variations of a crop or longer/waist-length version, both with a slight hi-lo hemline.

Processed with VSCO
The finished Tate Top

It is emailed to you as a pdf which you print to scale and assemble. The pattern covers sizes 0-20. I am unsure if that is US sizes… it probably is US sizing because of the existence of ‘size 0’ which is ridiculous but a whole other topic of discussion. Anyway, using the bust size measurements provided on the pattern was suitable to decide which sizing fitted me. The pattern also does not come with any written instructions, though it is pretty self explanatory for the advanced novice to intermediate sewer. I will go through the order I sewed the pieces together later on in this post.

Processed with VSCO
Back of the top with increased arm hole alteration

The original pattern is a racer back design, but as I wished to wear this in the dental clinic I wanted it to be less revealing on the back shoulders, so I had to alter the pattern. The way I did this was trace out the pattern onto tracing fabric (I used lightweight interfacing), and sew a draft pattern in some remnant cotton fabric I had. I tried it on to see how much I would need to increase or decrease in certain areas. I added on about 2 inches to the armhole width at the back and decreased the length of the top by about 3 inches. To make a template for the new altered pattern, I simply added on the required tracing fabric to the armhole area and sewed it on to the existing traced pattern, folded up the hemline to the desired length and I had the pattern pieces I needed!

Processed with VSCO
Altered patten on fabric ready to be cut

The order I sewed the pieces: neckline darts – sew back panels together (insert zipper if desired) – sew front and back at shoulders – sew side seams – hem arm and neck holes and the bottom hem.

Processed with VSCO
Button closure on the back

I opted for a button closure at the back, but it could be substituted with an invisible or accent zipper. The side seams were French seams (forgot to do it for the shoulders). Arm and neck holes were finished with a bias facing using contrasting yellow bias tape.

Processed with VSCO
Bias facing hem at neckline

This top was very easy to sew and can be completed in less than a day. It fits well with the neckline darts and the lightweight cotton is comfortable. I would make this again! I could even add sleeves next time.

Thanks for stopping by!

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “Sleeveless top: The Tate Top

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s